Monday, June 11, 2012


Yesterday (Sat June 9th whenever I get this posted) was the Alaska Run for Women, to support and raise money for breast cancer awareness. It’s a 5 mile walk or run you can be timed or untimed. I signed up for the 5 mile “party wave” group which means you do as little or as much as you want and you are untimed. I started off thinking I would just do as much as I could since I have a bad knee sometimes lots of hills and uneven grounds tend to aggravate it. The walk was hard Im not going to lie but it was also sooo beautiful. The first parts started off going basically right through downtown Anchorage and then lead to a coastal trail path that goes along the outside coast line of Anchorage which was really nice and lots of things to see. I am however extremely glad that I decided to put on some Deep Woods OFF! Or else I would have been eaten alive by mosquitoes. By mile 3 I was starting to get worn out but I decided to just keep going plus it was nice because there were people along the way cheering us on and even some people set up in certain areas that were playing music.  I came upon benches along the way I stopped and took 2 minute breaks at just to give my knee a rest but then kept going. On the 4th-5th mile we saw a mama moose out in this thicket of trees with her baby; which is really cool to see except you don’t want them to see you or get too close because they will attack especially around their young momma moose are very protective and will trample you until they think you are dead or no longer a threat. So we decided to say waaaay back and keep going along the trail to the finish line which ended back at the arena track that we started at. Finally when I reached the finish I was about ready to pass out on the grass of the track but made it back to the car and on our way home. It was really hard especially since I haven’t done something like that in forever and Im not in the best of shape BUT it was worth it and I felt good waking up the next morning…sore and stiff, but good.

Soon I’ll be starting orientation and then becoming oriented to my department at work, learning everything about the way they chart and patient care procedures and all that technical fun stuff. Im excited to get to know the people I’ll be working with on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Mallory. 5 miles is no stroll in the park. Beautiful country for walking.

    ReplyDelete